Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Closet Cleanup {Part 1}

 I moved home almost a year ago and I never really got my closet in order. I am fortunate in that I have a ton of space since it is a walk in, however it only has one shelf all the way around so it makes it a little difficult to organize. Try not to judge me too much for the before pictures (I'm a busy lady and spend about 10 minutes a day in my bedroom). To put it bluntly it was just a mess- hangers sticking out, shirts thrown in every which way, and don't get me started on the piles of shoes. 

Before: 



See? I told you it was bad. So yesterday I decided to get my life together (or at least my closet). I organized it by type of shirt (sleeveless, short sleeve, blouse, collared, casual, sweaters) and then did it by color within each category. I am not 100% sure this is the way I'm going to keep it but for now it works. I also started transitioning everything onto those thin black hangers you see. I know everyone says this, but they really are the best. I kept my sweaters/blazers/jackets on wooden hangers. Note: if you don't have as much hanging space as I do sweaters are very easy to store folded. 

After: 


So far so good? Right? I still need to go out and buy more hangers and I have yet to tackle that mess of sweatshirts taking over the top shelf (it's quite scary). But the main issue I'm still having is in regards to my ever growing shoe collection. I have two behind-the-door shoe racks that I use but that leaves me with all of the shoes you see in the picture below. I don't want to use the shoe rack in the picture anymore because my heels don't fit very nicely on it and it's hard to see them. I also have no idea what to do with the 12 pairs of boots in the corner. 

To be continued: 

Do you have any ideas for organizing my shoes? What do you use in your closet? How do you store your boots? I would really appreciate any ideas you may have :) 


3 comments:

  1. Oh dear god... I'm so OCD I'd be completely wigging out over this if it were my closet hahaaaa!! Good girl for cleaning it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use pant hangers to store your knee boots. Just clip them at the top and hang them if you have room. I did this and helped so much! Your closet sooooo looks like mine! It's so hard to keep it organized....proud of you! ;)
    xo,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...your closet looks quite similar to mine! This is exactly what I am in the middle of doing! You are off to a great start. One thing my friend does is put empty wine bottles in her boots during the warmer months to help keep their shape. Not sure if that is an organization tip, but it is a good idea. Can't wait to see what you do with your shoes.

    ReplyDelete